Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Blue Devils Pick up Sixth WHAC Win of the Year, Solidify a Home Playoff Match in the WHAC Tournament

Blue Devils Pick up Sixth WHAC Win of the Year, Solidify a Home Playoff Match in the WHAC Tournament

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich.—The Lawrence Technological (Mich.) University men's soccer team (7-9, 6-4) defeated the Cornerstone (Mich.) University Golden Eagles (2-13-2, 1-8-1) in a Wednesday night WHAC matchup. The Blue Devils used a four goal first half to put away the Golden Eagles. The final score when the clock hit 90:00 was 4-2.


It was all Blue Devils in the first half, scoring four unanswered goals to begin the match. It did not take very long to strike. Kevin Wright scored his eighth goal of the season in the 4th minute. Wright was assisted once again by Juan Jaramillo. The two have developed great chemistry over the last few matches. Nico Rodriguez extended the Blue Devil lead to two goals in the 31st minute. Rodriguez received a nicely lofted ball off the foot of Alvaro Merino, and Rodriguez headed it into the back of the net. Pressure by the Blue Devils offense was consistent all half long, and the Golden Eagles defense made a costly mistake in the 34th minute. Mario Colella was in the right spot at the right time, as a ball that was attempted to be cleared was deflected his way and put the ball home. This made the Blue Devils' lead 3-0. The Blue Devils were not done scoring in the half. Colella took a free kick from deep out, and Michael Avila was able to head the free kick past the goalie of the Golden Eagles. The Golden Eagles were able to get a goal past Jewett with 30 seconds left in the half to make the score 4-1 going into halftime.


The second half was a much quieter half from the Blue Devils. They were held scoreless rom the second half, but only surrendered one goal to the Golden Eagles. The second half ended with the Blue Devils ahead 4-2, and captured their seventh win of the season.


Head Coach Will Dyer had this to say about his team tonight, "We played very well in the first half; we played the style of soccer we wanted to play, and it resulted in four goals. Second half, we did not play well. We missed a few chances, but that was the first time our program has won on the road here at Cornerstone. Cornerstone never gave up, hat off to them. They are always a very prepared team."

The Blue Devils head home for senior night on Saturday, November 2nd. Coming to Blue Devil Stadium will be the No. 22 team in the country from the University of Northwestern Ohio. The matchup is scheduled to kickoff at 7:00pm