Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Blue Devils Battle Back in the Second Half After a Slow Start but Eventually Fall to No. 23 Indiana Tech.

Blue Devils Battle Back in the Second Half After a Slow Start but Eventually Fall to No. 23 Indiana Tech.

FORT WAYNE, Ind.—The Lawrence Technological (Mich.) University men's basketball team (6-3, 1-2) dropped a road contest to No. 23 Indiana Tech. It was a rough first half by the Blue Devils that put them in an uphill battle for the full 40 minutes. The Blue Devils would rally in the second half to pull within three, but just did not have enough left in the tank to finish the comeback and would fall by a score of 55-70.

Lawrence Tech could not seem to find their rhythm in the first half. A slow start found them down 0-5 just two minutes into the game. Isaiah Cumberland was able to get the Blue Devils on the board with layup, but the Warriors answered right back with a long ball to increase the Blue Devil deficit to 2-8.  The deficit was increased to nine points, but the Blue Devils went on to score five straight, thanks to a Gunnar Gustafson free throw, a steal from Brandon Beavers who then took the ball the distance for a layup, and an Alek Ivanovic jumper to pull the Blue Devils to within four with 12:29 remaining. However, over the next eight minutes, the Warriors would create a double digit lead because of a 12-2 run. Down 13-27 with 4:18, the Blue Devils needed to find a way to generate points to allow them to go into halftime with a little momentum. Unfortunately the offensive woes continued for the remaining minutes of the first half, and the Blue Devils would go into halftime down 20-38.

The Blue Devils struck first in the second half, when Gustafson grabbed an offense board and went back up for the layup. On the very next possession, Jordan Henry would pull down a defensive rebound, take it to the other end of the floor to make the score 24-38. The next two minutes would not be kind to the Blue Devils as the deficit grew to 20 points when the Warriors went on a 6-0 run to pull ahead 24-44 with 17:37 remaining. Henry would start a 9-2 run for the Blue Devils when he hit a jumper with 14:40 remaining in the half. Back to back possessions with layups, courtesy of Beavers and Henry, pulled the Blue Devils within 15. Henry would lay another one in and go 1-2 from the free throw line to cap the 9-2 run, making the score 37-51 with 12:29 remaining. The two teams would trade buckets with the Warriors clinging to a lead greater than 10 points until Dewayn Allen knocked down a three ball off a pass from Ivanovic to make the score 45-55 with 7:33 remaining on the clock. The next two minutes saw the Blue Devils go on an 8-1 run to bring the game to within one possession. Making the run possible was a jumper made by Henry, a steal by Allen that turned into three pointer by Ivanovic, and capping off the run would be another big three from Allen himself. This run made the score 53-56. However, it seemed that the Blue Devils just ran out steam as the Warriors would go on a 14-2 run to finish the game. The Blue Devils would fall to the Warriors on the road by a score of 55-70.

Henry would finish the night with 17 points. Henry has now scored at least 10 points in every game but one this season, and the one game was the first of the season. His presence coming off the bench has provided a good spark to this Blue Devil Offense. Allen had himself a career night. He set personal highs in points (11), field goals made (4), and three pointers made (3). Beavers set a career high in assists (6) and played all 40 minutes in the loss to the Warriors.

The Blue Devils will have a long layoff until their back on the court in competition. Their next competition is scheduled for Saturday, December 7th. It will be another road contest, this time out in Grand Rapids, Mich. where they will take on the Saints of Aquinas (Mich.) College. The Saints are currently 1-8 overall and 0-3 in WHAC play. This game is scheduled to tipoff at 3:00pm.