Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Blue Devils Fall 55-27 to Saint Francis (Ill.) on Saturday Afternoon; Thompson Finishes with Career High 115 Yards and Two Touchdowns

Blue Devils Fall 55-27 to Saint Francis (Ill.) on Saturday Afternoon; Thompson Finishes with Career High 115 Yards and Two Touchdowns

SOUTHFIELD, Mich. – The Lawrence Technological (Mich.) University football team hosted University of Saint Francis (Ill.) on Saturday, falling 55-27 at Blue Devils Stadium in Southfield, Mich.

Lawrence Tech (1-3) was looking to get off to a good start as they returned home, but a nine-play, 75-yard drive to start the game saw the Blue Devils fall behind 7-0 early. The Blue Devils opened their first drive with a pass completion to James Cartwright III for two yards. However, two plays later Lawrence Tech fumbled and gave Saint Francis the ball on the LTU 48.

Saint Francis (2-3) went 48-yards on eight plays to take a 14-0 lead as Michael Johnson ran it in from a yard out for the touchdown. The Blue Devils responded on the next drive with a nine-yard touchdown pass to C.J. Thompson to cut the lead to 14-7. Thompson finished the drive with 33 yards on two catches as he broke out for a career high 115 yards on the day.

The Blue Devils defense came up with a big stop towards the end of the first quarter to give Lawrence Tech the ball at the LTU 31 after a 31-yard punt from the Saints. Tyler Kulka and the Blue Devils marched down the field on the next drive, going eight plays for 69 yards and touchdown to tie the game at 14-14. Mekai Otero went seven yards for the score, his first of the 2019 season. He now has five career touchdowns. He finished the drive with 20 yards on the ground. Thompson caught a 16-yard pass from Kulka to put them within a yard of the redzone. On the next play, Ben Brittain had his longest run of the season, a 17-yard scamper to get the Blue Devils to the four-yard line to set up Otero's touchdown run.

The Saints only took one play to retake the lead, as Milton went 65-yards for the touchdown to give Saint Francis a 21-14 lead. The Saints made it 28-14 on their next possession as Keagan James went 10-yards for the touchdown. It took one play for the Blue Devils to get into Saints territory as James Cartwright III gave Lawrence Tech great field position with a 54 yard return to the Saint Francis 35. Brittain opened the drive with a nine-yards run followed by a 21-yard rush from Kendyl Williams to get to the Saints five. Two plays later, Kulka hits Thompson for his second touchdown of the day, cutting the lead to 28-20.

Saint Francis added one more touchdown at the end of the half to go up two scores, 34-20. Milton rushed for his third touchdown of the day. The Blue Devils once again had a response, going 85-yards on 12 plays to make it 34-27. Kulka hit Thompson for a 16-yard catch, but Thompson fumbled on the play and was recovered by Cartwright who took it in for the touchdown.

The Saints would go on to outscore the Blue Devils 21-0 over the 25 minutes to earn their second win of the season 55-27.

Thompson finished the day with 115 yards and two touchdowns, both career highs for a single-game. Otero went for 70 yards on the ground off a career high 19 attempts in the loss. Brittain went 42 yards on 12 carries in his first action of the season. Defensively, the Blue Devils were led by Mitch Waters with nine tackles including six solo tackles while Daniel Macks added eight tackles. Cam Urbanick finished with six tackles and notched his first collegiate sack.


The Blue Devils are on the bye next week and return to action on October 12 when they travel to Marion, Ind. to face Indiana Wesleyan. Kickoff is slated for 1 p.m. EDT (12 p.m. CDT).